1. Open the step record window by going to the Studio / Step Record menu.
2. Choose the MIDI track you want to step record on from the Record Track pop up menu.
3. Choose the note duration you want the step recorded notes to have.
4. If you would like Digital Performer to automatically jump to the next step after you insert a MIDI note then click the Auto Step button.
5. If you want the Step Record window to be linked to DP's main transport controls click the Lock To Transport button.
Play notes and chords. If you accidentally play an incorrect note or chord then click the Backstep button.